Patient Information > Patient Rights & Responsibilities
Statement of Patient Rights and Responsibilitie
As a patient you or your legal representative has the right to:
- Participate in the development and implementation of your plan of care.
- Make informed decisions regarding your care. This right includes being informed of your health status, being involved in care planning and treatment, and being able to request or refuse treatment. This right must not be construed as a mechanism to demand the provision of treatment or services deemed medically unnecessary or inappropriate.
- Formulate advance directives and to have hospital staff and practitioners who proved care in the hospital comply with these directives.
- Have a family member or representative of your choice and your own physician notified promptly of your admission to the hospital.
- Personal privacy.
- Receive care in a safe setting.
- Be free from all forms of abuse or harassment.
- Confidentiality of your clinical records.
- Access information contained in your clinical records within a reasonable time frame.
- Be free from restraints of any form that are not medically necessary or are used as a means of coercion, discipline, convenience, or retaliation by staff. The term "restraint" includes either a physical restraint or a drug that is used as a restraint for either medical or surgical care as well as behavior management.
- Submit a grievance to the hospital for review or resolution.
As a patient, you or your legal representative has the responsibility to:
- Ask questions.
- Provide information.
- Accept consequences of refusing treatment.
- Assure that financial obligations of the hospital bill are fulfilled.
- Comply with hospital rules and regulations.
- Show respect and consideration for the rights of other patients and hospital personnel.
The hospital has established a policy for the prompt resolution of grievances. If you have a concern about the quality of care you are receiving or that you are being discharged sooner than you should be, please contact either the Director of Nursing or Discharge Planner.