Laboratory Services at Culbertson Memorial Hospital offers a full range of clinical laboratory services. A pathologist, assisted by highly educated technologists and technicians, heads these services. The laboratory is equipped with the latest instruments and technologies to assist in the analysis of body fluids, cells and tissue. Studies show 70% of doctors decisions are made based on results from lab tests.
We know how busy life can be, so we want to make sure our patients know they can get their lab work done anytime, day or night at Culbertson Memorial Hospital with no appointment needed. If you are a patient of one of our clinics, you can get your testing done during regular clinics office hours.
In addition to accepting orders from Culbertson Clinic Providers, we also accept orders from all area providers. Our experienced Phlebotomists and Laboratory technicians are here 24 hours a day and ready to serve you.
We will send your results directly to your physician, many times on the same day. If you are patient of a Culbertson Clinic, you can access your results via your patient portal if you are registered.
When you arrive, enter through the main lobby and follow the signage or our receptionist will be glad to assist you. Please be sure to bring the lab test order if the doctor has given it to you, and your insurance card. If you are having a drug screen collected, you will also need a photo ID. Laboratory Services is situated next to our Emergency Department and MedSurg nurses desk. To contact lab personnel, please call 217-322-5283.
Some laboratory tests require fasting. The laboratory defines fasting as no food, (including candy, gum, and mints) drink or smoking for 8 - 12 hours before the blood is drawn. Patients may still take their medication with small amounts of water, unless their physician has told them otherwise. Patients with questions about their fasting regimen, may call the lab at 322-5283.
Advanced Beneficiary Notice
When you are at the laboratory, you may be asked to sign an Advanced Beneficiary Notice (ABN). Medicare will not pay for certain tests that they consider experimental, screening, or not medically necessary. By signing an ABN, you are agreeing to be responsible for payment of these tests if the insurance company does not pay. You also have the right to refuse to have the test performed.
If you are having an HIV test, you will be asked to sign a consent form that verifies that your doctor has explained the test to you. We cannot provide HIV testing without a signed consent.
Some Tests We Perform Are:
- Coagulation – Protime testing for monitoring of Coumadin dosages.
- Chemistry - Routine chemistry test that includes glucose, lipid profile and cardiac testing.
- Hematology - Routine blood cell count including hematocrit and hemoglobin.
- Histology – Surgical pathology of tissue specimens.
- Microbiology – Studying of microorganisms.
- Nuclear Medicine – Nuclear scans, including bone and cardiac exams.
- Serology – Testing for various diseases, including allergies.
- Transfusion Services – Pre-transfusion services of blood products for inpatients and outpatients.
- Urinalysis - Examination of urine specimens for infections, etc.
- Urine Drug Testing – Collection of urine specimens, licensed DOT and Non-DOT Collectors.
- Wellness Screenings – Twice a year we offer a variety of tests in the community for a discounted rate.
The laboratory is CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments) certified and is inspected by the Illinois Department of Public Health.