There’s a Test for That!
July 23, 2018
Because medical laboratory testing plays such a crucial role in the detection, diagnosis and treatment of disease in patients; prompt, accurate lab results can make a marked difference in treatments and outcomes.
Studies show 70% of doctor’s decisions are made based on results from lab tests.
Here are some of the most common tests performed in medical labs and why.
- Coagulation – Protime testing for monitoring of Coumadin dosages.
- Chemistry - Routine chemistry test that includes glucose, lipid profile and cardiac testing.
- Hematology - Routine blood cell count including hematocrit and hemoglobin.
- Histology – Surgical pathology of tissue specimens.
- Microbiology – Studying of microorganisms.
- Nuclear Medicine – Nuclear scans, including bone and cardiac exams.
- Serology – Testing for various diseases, including allergies.
- Transfusion Services – Pre-transfusion services of blood products for inpatients and outpatients.
- Urinalysis - Examination of urine specimens for infections, etc.
- Urine Drug Testing – Collection of urine specimens, licensed DOT and Non-DOT Collectors.
- Wellness Screenings